This site requires JavaScript to be enabled






Services and Support

Paying for College with Federal Work-Study

Updated: 03/25/2015


Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a grant that you work off and is part of your financial aid award eligibility.  

In order to be employed in a work-study job, you must have a FWS award. Some colleges award FWS upfront in your award notice.  Other colleges award once you find a work-study job.  

Although work-study should be treated as any other job, it does have some distinctions: 

  • Employers arrange a FWS schedule around your class schedule.

  • You do not need to have specific skills to get a FWS job; you just have to show interest.

  • Although the majority of FWS positions are located on-campus, the program also offers a growing number of off-campus, community service jobs.

  • FWS gives you invaluable experience when preparing to enter or re-enter the job market after graduation.

  • The money you earn from FWS is not counted towards your next year's contribution for financial aid.


Remember to bring an up-to-date resume, or submit it by email if directed. 

If you need assistance with job search techniques, please meet with a Career Services Advisor.

Steps to Obtain Federal Work-Study (FWS)


Filed under: Finances v.6

Was this helpful? Yes No